Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Brussels Sprouts with Nigerian Accent!

PK Blog 025
  PK Blog 021
Anytime I want to scare someone who doesn't like vegetables; I start by showing them unfamiliar raw type and this is my go to under-appreciated veggie but it's really so good if treated with respect...that's all it ask for...is that too much to ask? This is Brussels Sprout. I call it cabbage cousin. The way to know a good one is by touching it. It should be firm and green. There are many ways to cook this vegetable; steam, roast, saute etc.
My style here is high temp roasting with most minimal seasoning! This veggie don't need too much on her/him...period!
here's how it went down;
I peeled off couple of leaves that are yellow. Cut off tough ends and cut in halves for less cooking time...as you know am not be in the kitchen all day. Plus, heat or water in case you choose to steam it will permeate in easily.
I washed them, pat dry with clean kitchen towel (moisture will steam it...not how I like it).
I drizzle my garlic/scent leaf infused extra virgin olive oil generously. Sprinkled Priscilla's All Purpose seasoning...believe me, no salt needed.
I popped into a preheated 450 degree Fahrenheit oven (Nigerians forgive me; I came to America with Metric System and 10 years later I lost it...believe it or not, metric is actually easier...but hey, this is my new normal now). High temperature crisps it, chars it and makes it taste smokey...feel me?
 PK Blog 025
 What you see here as finished product is;
I combined balsamic vinegar and a little agave nectar, cooked it to reduce to syrupy consistency and glazed the veggies...optional. Then i chopped some roasted peanuts (naija groundnuts) and baptized it in holy perfection!
Crispy-creamy-sweet-smoky-crunchy-salty perfection!
Simple but uto eto!
So here's what am going to tell you; if you are not eating right amount of vegetables; you are being unfair to your body and cheating on it...you don't like people, spouse, boyfriend or anyone cheat on you...why are you cheating on your own body?
Head to the market, to the kitchen and let's cook this today! not tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment