Monday, August 4, 2014

Nigeria & Vegetables - Jollof Rice & Meat Stuffed Cabbage - Day 1

PK Blog 030
I mentioned last week that am going to answer many questions I have received on why Nigerian diet don't have a lot of vegetables. Some food adventurers wonder if it is because we don't grow vegetables, don't like them or what?. Some mentioned except for soups like edikaikong,not much is used in other soups to meet dietary requirement and that if used in fried rice; it is sparingly used...to mention but a few.
PK Blog 034
This is another type of filling...all vegan...text your IQ...what's in the FILLING?
I am by no means offended as a Nigerian...I travel a lot too for culinary adventures...as I eat my way through any land I thread my feet; I take notes, form my opinions and try to find answers as much as I can.
MY ANSWER;
Nigeria is so abundantly endowed!!!!! so endowed that Nigerians can't even fathom how much of nature's goodness is in that land...culinarily speaking, there are tons of vegetables  as there are many food items in Nigeria I know that for sure...possible reasons and facts are;
1.  Nigeria is a tropical country; rainy/dry or hot for the most part depending on location. Therefore, some vegetables that grow in certain climate and location of the country will abound in such areas that it thrives and scarce in the other. Similarly, availability of such vegetables to other parts depend on transportation, preservation that will uphold its freshness and shelf life...this is a challenge and so; if made available in scarce areas as is the case now, it becomes expensive and as you know...only few can afford it.
2. Meeting RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) of vegetables is 1/2 cup (4 0z) on average. Not a lot of people meet that due to dislike of vegetables, types, affordability issues as mentioned above, over cooking that destroy its nutritional values etc.
3. Ignorance Factor, until recently; some people in Nigeria consider salad food for goat or cow because these animals are fed with leaves. Not to mention as a meal! I totally get it because I walked their path sometime, Nigeria is a country of hustle and survival of the fittest. After a long days HARD WORK...you will be looking for foods that are filling which of course transcends into foo-foo & soup, rice, yam and loads of carb if you will. (I LOVE MY COUNTRY meeeen)! In the same vein, vegetables suffers limited usage and this is not just in Nigeria. Awareness of what vegetables we have in Nigeria and knowledge of how to cook or use it will sure attract more consumption and THIS IS WHAT THIS WEEK'S BLOG WILL FEATURE...SIMPLE TECHNIQUES TO PUMP UP INTEGRITY OF VEGETABLES.
I leaped for joy when I traveled to the northern part of Nigeria, east and south of Nigeria that I discovered herbs and vegetables we have...I literary wanted an immediate come back to Nigeria which I will, believe me...
enough talking let's see...what's cooking here?
PK Blog 022


PK Blog 020
Let's begin with most common and popular vegetable Cabbage and its cousin...full of water content, some tender and few not, vary in color, high in fiber, protein, low in calories, no fat or cholesterol, high in vitamins to mention but a few. THIS IS SAVOY CABBAGE. FYI same cooking technique for this applies to regular cabbage we grow in Nigeria. I just happen to have this in refrigerator. This has a crinkled texture but don't be fooled; it is just as tender as regular type.
How I made this;
pluck out leaves of cabbage or cook in whole (you must cut incision at the bottom to allow water boil into body). Cooking technique? Blanch cut or full head cabbage in a presalted seasoned boiling water for 2-4 minutes depending on how big is the size. Take off and place in an iced bowl to stop cooking process. When almost cooled, take off water, spread in a pan or wide dish and pat dry.
Filling
Let your imagination go to work...as you see here; I made mine all out naija. Nigerians love jollof rice and chicken or beef and I had them as left over in refrigerator, plus my son left over fried egg...bingo! 
That became my filling...no secret, no fuss or muss!
Key things to remember;
1. Cut off core because it's tough, I snipped it in an angle.
2. Fill in just enough to allow of nice roll up without tearing or burst
3. First roll inward, sides in and roll forward. Cook seam side down
4. Cook by steaming...I placed mine in baking dish, added little water at the bottom, seasoned the water with salt/pepper/onions/maggi...in my Kitchen, Taste is huge!!!
5. Cover with foil and let cook for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Take off heat and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting or serve in whole.
Great as appetizer, main meal.
Try this today in your KITCHEN!!! Be sure to tune in tomorrow for another Nigerian vegetable show down...
Note:
This is a global issue and not limited to Nigeria...a lot of people don't appreciate veggies and optimize nutritional values therein. This blog is for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment